In her first job after graduating from Albion College, Kayla McQuinn has found herself immersed in the captivating world of winemaking. As an assistant winemaker at St. Julian Winery in Paw Paw, MI, McQuinn is not only embracing the challenges of the harvest season, but also reaping its rewards.
From the vineyard to the bottle, McQuinn plays a vital role in every step of the winemaking process. Combining her biology background with her passion for science and art, she brings a unique perspective to her work. While she admits that tasting grapes and various stages of wine development is undoubtedly a thrilling experience, McQuinn also emphasizes the significance of lab analysis in the creation of exceptional wines. With a meticulous eye for detail, she oversees the production of an impressive 250,000 cases each year, working with an astonishing variety of 50 different grape types.
McQuinn’s journey at St. Julian began as an intern during the 2020 harvest season. Her experience as a teaching assistant and her strong background in biology from Albion College laid a solid foundation for her role in the winery’s lab. However, what truly captivates her about this job is the hands-on nature of it. No two days are the same for McQuinn. One day she may find herself in the barrel cellar, the next she could be running chemistry experiments in the lab, and the day after that she may be out in the vineyard.
During her time at Albion College, McQuinn actively engaged in extracurricular activities, including serving as President of the Biochemistry Club and Vice President of Operations for the Kappa Delta sorority. However, it is her association with the St. Julian team that has truly made this journey memorable. McQuinn appreciates the camaraderie and family-like atmosphere among the production crew, acknowledging that without their support, the magic of winemaking wouldn’t be possible.
Through her work as an assistant winemaker, McQuinn has developed a deep appreciation for the art and craftsmanship that goes into every glass of wine. It has given her a profound understanding of the tireless effort and dedication required to create exceptional wines. Looking ahead, McQuinn aspires to continue her career in winemaking and hopes to make a lasting impact in the industry.
The world of winemaking has found an enthusiastic and passionate biologist in Kayla McQuinn, and her journey is an inspiring testament to the fusion of science and art that culminates in a glass of exquisite wine.
1. Who is Kayla McQuinn and what is her role at St. Julian Winery?
– Kayla McQuinn is an assistant winemaker at St. Julian Winery in Paw Paw, MI. She plays a vital role in every step of the winemaking process, combining her biology background with her passion for science and art.
2. What is the significance of lab analysis in winemaking?
– Lab analysis is crucial in the creation of exceptional wines. It helps ensure the quality and consistency of the wine by providing data on factors such as grape maturity, fermentation progress, and chemical composition.
3. How many cases of wine does St. Julian Winery produce each year?
– St. Julian Winery produces an impressive 250,000 cases of wine each year.
4. What is Kayla McQuinn’s background and experience in winemaking?
– Kayla McQuinn has a strong background in biology from Albion College, which laid a solid foundation for her role as an assistant winemaker. She also gained experience as an intern during the 2020 harvest season.
5. What is the hands-on nature of Kayla McQuinn’s job?
– Kayla McQuinn’s job as an assistant winemaker is hands-on, and no two days are the same for her. She may find herself working in the barrel cellar, running chemistry experiments in the lab, or out in the vineyard.
6. What extracurricular activities did Kayla McQuinn engage in during her time at Albion College?
– During her time at Albion College, Kayla McQuinn served as President of the Biochemistry Club and Vice President of Operations for the Kappa Delta sorority.
7. What does Kayla McQuinn appreciate about working at St. Julian Winery?
– Kayla McQuinn appreciates the camaraderie and family-like atmosphere among the production crew at St. Julian Winery. She acknowledges that their support is essential in the magic of winemaking.
8. What aspirations does Kayla McQuinn have for her winemaking career?
– Kayla McQuinn aspires to continue her career in winemaking and hopes to make a lasting impact in the industry.
– Winemaking: The process of producing wine from grapes, including activities such as harvesting, fermenting, aging, and bottling.
– Lab analysis: The examination and testing of wine samples in a laboratory to monitor and analyze various aspects such as grape maturity, fermentation progress, and chemical composition.
Suggested Related Links:
– St. Julian Winery: Visit the website of St. Julian Winery to learn more about their wines and winemaking process.